Placement Tests in French, German and Spanish
The French, German, and Spanish placement tests are online tests. Each exam contains questions on grammar, vocabulary, and reading comprehension. The on-line test (Part 1) takes 20-30 minutes to complete. Depending on your score, you may also be asked to do a writing sample (Part 2), which takes an additional 20-30 minutes. We expect you to do your own work on this exam.
You need the exam if:
- you took French, German or Spanish previously and you're considering taking this language at Appalachian.
- you took the placement test previously, but allowed nine months or more to elapse without enrolling in a French, German or Spanish course.
- you are a transfer student who has taken courses in French, German or Spanish at another institution. Students with at least 3-hours of transfer credits in a language may register for the next level of the course without a placement test score, but are encouraged to take the placement test to ensure an accurate placement.
You do not need the exam if:
- you have no prior experience studying a language. Students without prior experience in a language may register for the beginning course in that language (SNH 1010, FRE 1010, or GER 1010) without having taken the placement test.
- you do not plan on studying French, German, or Spanish because they are not required for your major program of study.
Take the Test(s)
- the password is apps1 (all lower case, no spaces, the last digit is the number 1)
- and then enter your official Appalachian email address. If you enter an email address other than this one, your scores may not be recorded. Your Appalachian email address is sent to your personal email account about 2 weeks after you receive your admission decision letter.
- Then, remember to record your score - record your placement level (if you place into 1010, 1020 or 1040) or the date that you completed the writing sample (for potential placement higher).
- Now, start the Online Placement Test, Part 1.
- Then, if you place over 425, do the Writing sample, Part 2
Placement in Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, and Russian
If you have previous experience in Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese or Russian and do not think you belong in a Beginning course, please contact one of the following:
- Arabic - Saloua Ben Zahra: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chinese - Wendy Xie: email@example.com
- Japanese – Misa Yamamoto: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Portuguese - email@example.com
- Russian - firstname.lastname@example.org
You can receive up to six credits for courses you surpass via the placement exam (for Spanish, French, or German). To earn this credit, you must take and pass (with a "C" or better) the course into which you place. For clarification on language placement policies, please contact email@example.com.