Placement Tests in French, German, and Spanish
These placement tests are online tests that should be completed prior to Orientation and/or class registration. Each exam contains questions on grammar, vocabulary, and reading comprehension. The on-line test (Part 1) takes 20-30 minutes to complete. Depending on your score, you may also be asked to do a writing sample (Part 2), which takes an additional 20-30 minutes.
Note on Academic Integrity: By submitting the placement exam or the writing sample, you certify that you are doing your own work, without the help of outside resources, online dictionaries, or translators. We expect you to do your own work on this exam.
You need the exam if:
- you took French, German, or Spanish previously and you're considering taking this language at Appalachian.
- you took the placement test previously, but allowed nine months or more to elapse without enrolling in a language course.
You do not need the exam if:
- you have no prior experience studying a language. Students without prior experience in a language may register for the beginning course in that language (ex. XXX 1010) without having taken the placement test.
- you do not plan on studying a language because it is not required for your major program of study.
- Students with at least 3-hours of transfer credits in a language may register for the next level of the course without a placement test score, but are encouraged to take the placement test to ensure an accurate placement.
Take the Test(s)
- Now, start the Online Placement Test, Part 1. You will be prompted to create an account; use your Appalachian email address. Then log in.
- Then, if you place over 425, do the Writing sample, Part 2
- Then, remember to record your score - record your placement level (if you place into 1010, 1020 or 1040) or the date that you completed the writing sample (for potential placement higher).
- If you would like to take a test in a second or third language and you are unable to access the test, please email email@example.com. You will be provided with a link to access an additional test.
Placement in Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, and Russian
If you have previous experience in Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, or Portuguese and do not think you belong in a beginning course, please contact one of the following:
- Arabic - Saloua Ben Zahra: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chinese - Wendy Xie: email@example.com or Xiaofei Tu: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Japanese – Misa Yamamoto: email@example.com
- Portuguese - Brent James: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Russian - Irina Barclay: email@example.com
For clarification on language placement policies, please contact Dr. K. Martial Frindéthié at firstname.lastname@example.org.