Math Placement and Calculus Readiness Tests

Continuing students can log into AsULearn to take the Math Placement/Calculus Readiness at any time.  

New students can access the Math Placement and Calculus Readiness Test beginning April 4, 2018.

Once you have completed a placement, please allow several hours for your score to process in our student information system. You will NOT be able to register for a math class until your score processes.

You may be required to take one or both tests so read the information below carefully.  Use this Math Guide (PDF, 120 KB) to help you choose your math course after taking your placement tests.  

Which Test(s) Should You Take?

Math Placement Test

Calculus Readiness Test

Take this test if you have scored less than *550 on your SAT Math test (or less than 22 on your ACT Math test).  You are allowed to take this test only once.

AP Credit:  You DO NOT need to take the test if Appalachian is awarding you AP math credit.

Transfer Students:  You DO NOT need to take the test if Appalachian is awarding you 4-hours of college-level transfer math credits. 

Take this test if you are planning to major in computer science, mathematics, pre-engineering, or science.  You are allowed to take this test only ONCE.

AP Credit:  You DO NOT need to take this test if you have Calculus I (MAT 1110) AP credit.  If you are currently taking AP Calculus, you should take the Calculus Readiness Test anyway. Your AP credit will override your placement test score if you score a 3 or higher on your AP test.

Transfer Students:  You DO NOT have to take this test if you have college transfer credit for Calculus I (MAT 1110).

*If the SAT was taken prior to March 2016, students need an SAT MAT score of 520 or higher to exempt the Math Placement test. Students who took the SAT from March 2016 forward need an SAT MAT score of 550 or higher in order to exempt the MAT Placement test.

Sample Questions and Answers

Directions for the Test

  1. Go to: (AsULearn's Math Placement - beginning April 4, 2018). This page will open in a new browser window. You can keep this window open as you follow the remaining steps.  Both tests are in this site.
  2. Login to AsULearn with your Appalachian username and password.
  3. If the test does not appear immediately, select My Courses.  Then select Math and Calculus Readiness Placement. Then choose the test you need to take and follow directions to begin test.

Technical Assistance

If you have problems accessing or completing the test, please contact Melissa Hicks in the Registrar's Office at 828-262-3135,

Do I need to take this quiz?