Online Advising and Placement Tests
In order for your advisor to most appropriately support you during Orientation, you must have completed all the necessary online advising and placement tests before you attend Orientation. Click the links below to determine which tests you need.
You will need a computer with internet access. Choose one with the fastest possible internet connection. If one is not available to you at home, you may access a computer at your school or public library.
- Calculus Readiness: Available now.
- Chemistry Placement Exam: Available now. The purpose of this exam is to determine placement in college-level general chemistry. This is NOT a chemistry test, however. This is a math test that assesses your ability to do basic algebra, rearrange equations, and solve word problems.
- Pre-Registration Engagement Project (PREP): Available May 5, 2023. ERA is an online course that will teach you how to use Appalachian's web registration system to register for classes. You cannot register for classes for your first semester until you complete PREP. Registration for new fall/summer students opens on May 8 at 12:00 p.m.
- Math Placement: Available now.
- Placement Tests in French, German, and Spanish: Available now.
If you have previous experience in one of the languages below and do not think you belong in a beginning course, please contact the respective professor:
- American Sign Language - Dr. Grea Knigga-Daugherty: email@example.com
- Arabic - Dr. Saloua Ben Zahra: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chinese - Dr. Wendy Xie: email@example.com or Xiaofei Tu: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Japanese – Ms. Misa Yamamoto: email@example.com
- Latin - Dr. Stephen Young: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Portuguese - Dr. Brent James: email@example.com
- Russian - Dr. Irina Barclay: firstname.lastname@example.org