Planning for your Orientation
How to Register for Orientation
After you submit your non-refundable advance payment, you should register for Orientation online through your myApp account. A confirmation will be sent to your Appalachian email account.
- Parents/families are invited (but not required) to attend a Parent/Family Orientation which is held on the same date as the student Orientation program. A separate Parent/Family Registration is required so we can plan appropriately.
The charge for January Orientation 2017 is $90 and will be listed on your confirmation when you register for Orientation. The cost covers all Orientation expenses including several meals, inventories and materials that will be provided to you as applicable to your session. After you register for Orientation through myApp, please save your Orientation confirmation email; it includes your estimated Orientation charges.
You will not be billed the final charges for Orientation until after you attend. These charges will be billed directly to your student account as part of your overall tuition and fees for the semester. These fees are non-refundable after you have attended Orientation.
Please note that the fee for the student orientation program is a separate charge for all new incoming students which is billed to their student account after they attend the program. If a family member chooses to attend the Parent & Family Orientation program, there is a separate fee and registration for that program.
View the schedule of events. Students will receive a printed schedule of events and other materials upon check-in.
- Students attending New Student Orientation on January 11, 2017 can obtain their room keys at their assigned residence hall office and move into their assigned rooms on January 10, 2017 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Students attending New Student Orientation on January 12, 2017 can obtain their room keys at their assigned residence hall office and move into their assigned rooms on January 11, 2017 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Students may check into their assigned rooms anytime AFTER their assigned time until January 17, 2017 at 6pm. Read more about Spring Move-In.
Orientation Check-In and Parking (beginning at 8:00 a.m. on January 11 or January 12)
- Students and families will follow signs to Orientation parking in the River's Street Parking Deck. Student and family Orientation check-in will be at the Schaefer Center beginning at 8:00 a.m. The Opening Session will begin in the Schaefer Center at 9:00 a.m.
- International Undergraduate Degree-seeking Students: International Orientation is REQUIRED for all international degree-seeking students (both students on an F1 visa status and those who have never attended a US university).
Preparing for Orientation
- Learn your AppalNet username, password, and your Appalachian email address
- Take all appropriate placement tests prior to Orientation
- Complete your Early Registration Advising Course and begin registering for your classes (beginning May 2nd)
Additional Helpful Information
Academic Year Parking
- Please refer to the Parking and Traffic Office for details on how to register for a parking space for the semester or academic year.
AppCards (Student ID Cards)
- AppCards are used to access a student's residence hall, serve as a student's meal card, serve as a student's library card, and can be used for purchases in the University Bookstore. Make sure to get your AppCard made at Orientation. Students living on-campus will need to pick up their AppCard from Trivette Hall prior to moving into their residence hall.
The UNC System requires that eligible students must have health insurance. Students must waive out or enroll in the University's coverage each semester. Learn more now!
- Please also note that before attending classes, all Appalachian students must submit a Report of Medical History and Immunization Record Form as required by University Policy and North Carolina law. If you have not yet submitted this form you will have time to complete this enrollment step at Orientation.
What to Bring to Orientation
- immunization information (if not already completed and returned)
- informal clothing and comfortable walking shoes for Orientation
- backpack and water bottle for Orientation
- copy of Advanced Placement scores, and /or International Baccalaureate scores, if available
- if you are transferring credits from another institution, your Appalachian transcript evaluation can be found under class history on your Degree Works account
- optional--your parents for Parent/Family Orientation
- your questions and concerns
What NOT to Bring
- uncomfortable clothes or shoes for your Orientation day(s)
- friends not registered for Orientation
Have Your Plans Changed?
Please let us know if your plans to attend Appalachian have changed by emailing our Admission's Office at email@example.com.