Planning for your August Freshman & International Student Orientation
How to Register for Orientation
After you submit your non-refundable advance payment, you should register for Orientation online through your myApp account. A confirmation will be sent to your Appalachian email account.
Parents are invited (but not required) to attend a Parent Orientation which is held on the same date as the student Orientation program. A separate Parent Registration is required so we can plan appropriately.
August 13th-14th: Orientation Schedule
Students will receive a printed schedule of events and other materials upon check-in.
International Undergraduate Degree-seeking Students
International Orientation is REQUIRED for all international degree-seeking students (both students on an F1 visa status and those who have never attended a US university). International students should plan to attend all of international orientation August 10 - 14, 2015.
The charge for August Freshman Orientation 2015 is $130 and will be listed on your confirmation when you register for Orientation. The cost covers all Orientation expenses including several meals, your Common Reading book, inventories and materials that will be provided to you as applicable to your session. After you register for Orientation through myApp, please save your Orientation confirmation email; it includes your estimated Orientation charges.
You will not be billed the final charges for Orientation until after you attend. These charges will be billed directly to your student account as part of your overall tuition and fees for the semester. These fees are non-refundable after you have attended Orientation.
Preparing for Orientation
- Learn your AppalNet username, password, and your Appalachian email address
- Take all appropriate placement tests prior to Orientation
- Complete your Early Registration Advising Course and begin registering for your classes
Directions - Plan Your Route
August Residence Hall Move-In Information
- Students attending the Freshmen August Orientation will obtain their room keys at their assigned residence hall office and move into their assigned rooms on August 12, 2015 from 12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Click here for more information on fall move-in.
Orientation Check-In and Parking (9:00 a.m.)
Students and families will follow signs to Orientation parking in the River's Street Parking Deck. Student and family Orientation check-in will be at the Schaefer Center beginning at 9:00 a.m. on August 13th. The Opening Session will begin in the Schaefer Center at 10:00 a.m.
Please refer to the Parking and Traffic Office for details on how to register for a parking space for the semester or academic year.
Additional Helpful Information
AppCards (Student ID Cards)
AppCards are used to access a student's residence hall, serve as a student's meal card, serve as a student's library card, and can be used for purchases in the University Bookstore. Most freshman students attending the August Orientation session will have their AppCards made prior to moving into their residence hall.
Bookstore Information for New Students
Please also note that before attending classes, all Appalachian students must submit a Report of Medical History and Immunization Record Form as required by University Policy and North Carolina law. If you have not yet submitted this form you will have time to complete this enrollment step at Orientation.
What to Bring to Orientation
- immunization information (if not already completed and returned)
- informal clothing and comfortable walking shoes for Orientation
- backpack and water bottle for Orientation
- copy of Advanced Placement scores, and /or International Baccalaureate scores, if available
- if you are transferring credits from another institution, an Appalachian transcript evaluation mailed to you by Appalachian's Office of Admissions; and unofficial copies of your transcript from your previous school
- optional--your parents for Parent Orientation
- your questions and concerns
What NOT to Bring
- uncomfortable clothes or shoes for your Orientation day(s)
- linens (a pillow, towel, sheets, and a light blanket are provided)
- friends not registered for Orientation
Have Your Plans Changed?
Please let us know if your plans to attend Appalachian have changed by emailing our Admission's Office at email@example.com.